This year I decided that I wanted to finally learn how to use the Gelli Plate that was given to me as a Christmas gift the Christmas before last. My original plan was to print directly onto the journal pages, and sketch on top of the print. Well, printing on the actual pages would just not have worked for me, and my prints were usually too dark and too busy to sketch on, so....I printed on separate pieces of paper and glued them into my journal. I did manage to sketch on two of them, but mostly I just used the print as is, and twice I cut shapes from the prints.
I sometimes used one of Roz's prompts, but usually just used one of the quotes that I've jotted down from time to time, and my character only put her own commentary on a few of them. I used alphabet stamps on most pages to isolate an important theme for most of the pages.
I used a Strathmore 9 x 12 multi-media visual journal, which I liked, and some very inexpensive liquid acrylics.
My goals were simple: to really get some time in working with Gelli-prints, and to do something every day. I did miss a few days though, 2 because I was away from home, and I think 2 or 3 due to procrastination.
I learned that Gelli-printing takes a lot of work, that I really need some slower drying paint, that I need more of a variety of texture making items, stencils and masks, so I will be making some of these soon for my next printmaking sessions. I think I will finish the remaining pages in the journal, but definitely not right away.
I had a lot of fun with this and am pretty happy with what I've done. I've really enjoyed seeing what the other participants did, and always amazed at the creativity in inventing characters, and designing pages. I'm both glad and sorry to see it end, and can't wait till next year.