Saturday, April 30, 2016

2016 Fake Journal Wrap-up


I’ve participated in 6 IFJM’s now.  And every year as April approaches, my mind seems to go blank and I can’t think of what I want to do.  I have amassed a list of “good ideas” for fake journals, but when I look at them in March, they suddenly do not seem like good ideas anymore.   Some of them would probably not hold my interest for 30 days.  Some of them would require too much research, and I’m too lazy to deal with that for a whole month.  Some of them just don’t appeal to me at the moment, but maybe another time.  As it got close to April 1 this year,  was thinking about the past winter, and how I was sick with colds and bronchitis for most of it.   I spent a LOT of time watching TV, and simultaneously playing solitaire on my android tablet.  What if I had spent that time sketching instead?  What if I sketched what I was watching on TV?  Aha!  I had my character.   She was a shut-in, and spent most of her days watching reruns of her favorite TV shows.  She would use the “on demand” feature to freeze the action, and sketch the characters in these shows.  (I had been meaning to get more practice sketching people, so this worked out really well).   I used a Strathmore mixed media journal, and a Micron sepia .05 pen, directly in pen with no pencil.  A few pages into my journal I discovered that if I DVR’d the program, I could freeze the action indefinitely, instead of the two or three minutes “on demand” gave me.  And so, I met three of my goals.

1.     To practice sketching people

2.     To add some redeeming value to my habit of watching too much TV.  LOL!

3.     For my fake journal to hold my interest for the whole month. 

       Oh, and 4.  To make this journal different from my usual work.

I did miss a few days, but I’m happy with what I’ve done.  Did my people sketching improve?  That remains to be seen.   

7 comments:

  1. It's been quite a month Michelle! I've loved all your TV characters and challenged myself to name each one. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dana. I hope some of them were recognizable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job and looking back at all the posts, you have a lot of good likenesses. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle,

    Great job on your IFJM 2016! I really liked your idea for your fake author and that you met 3 of your goals. Great job! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is such a great idea, and I recognized nearly all of the characters! except maybe the ones of shows I haven't watched...the "there's no crying in baseball!" cracked me up...loved that line, and of course the police commissioner-how can he still be so good looking after all this time!!? great journal!

    ReplyDelete